<--Previous Up Next-->
1-Ton Arbor Press
This is an arbor press. Notice how it is configured for pressing struts:
In fact, you could also use a vise to crush the ends of the pipe, but I
like using the press -- it is much faster and very accurate when set up
- It is bolted to my bench top through a hole in the back (not shown)
so that it doesn't lift off the bench when I use it.
- I've placed a large chunk of angle-iron steel onto the base.
- I've placed a large block of aluminum onto the angle-iron base.
- I've used wood shims to adjust the exact depth of the space under
the press (the vertical column of steel -- it moves up and down). The
depth is adjusted so that the correct amount of the pipe gets crushed.
There are more details on its adjustment later.
- Everything is clamped so it doesn't move.